Step into the daylight and let it go.

Monday, July 27, 2009

#10 Burnt Notice

"Before I knew it, my maid rushed up the stairs and asked me to take all my important things with me as there was a fire."



Thanks to H1N1, my college got closed down and we suddenly had 1 week of holiday. The day before I flew home, Rahman, SweeHow and I went to Sunway Pyramid just to kill time. We watched Ice Age 3: The Dawn of Dinosaur 3D and went to Sushi King to have our dinner. It was my first time to eat Japanese meal since I got back from Adelaide. Gosh, I missed the sushi in Adelaide so much.

In FCUK in Sunway.
Two of my best friends in INTEC: Rahman and SweeHow.

Just after I flew back to Alor Star, had my dinner with Grandpa, got back to Papa's shop, and started chatting with Zitheng on the phone, I heard sirens coming from every direction and the sound got louder and louder. Before I knew it, my maid rushed up the stairs and asked me to take all my important things with me as there was a fire. Consternations filled my soul. Without much thought, I grabbed my bags and ran down with her. The minute I got down, Mummy told me that one of the shops nearby was on fire. Grandpa and Papa had collected all the money and cheque from the cash desk as well as all the important documents. The fire brigade owned by the government poured a pail of water and told everyone that they had run out of water. My parents and all the neighbours stood rooted to the ground, gripping with fear. If the fire was not put out in time, it would raze down all the shops in the very same row. I held Granpa's hand firmly, my parents urged him to go home first, but he refused. How could he when the shop was his effort of a lifetime. His Shop. Papa's Shop. Mummy's Shop. Our Shop. I prayed to God that everything would turn out to be fine.

As time passed by, the thick black smoke grew thicker and the fire grew bigger, illuminating the dark sky. Soon, it became like a towering inferno, raging on furiously. A large crowd had gathered around the burning buildings, most of them gaped at the fire with their mouths wide open. In the end, my prayers seemed to be answered. The voluntary fire brigade arrived and worked efficiently in no time at all and got the fire under control in about an hour. We sighed with relief, glad that it was finally over. My hand never left Grandpa's from the beginning to the end. I was also glad that no one was hurt and thank God for that.
^^
Mummy later told me that she nearly fainted when one of the firemen rushed into our shop as she thought that our shop was on fire. Luckily, the fireman just wanted to borrow the phone. I suddenly remembered the song "Fire Burning" by Sean Kingston that had " Somebody called 911.." in its lyrics, except this time someone called 911 because of a fire and not a hot girl. It was also my first time to witness a fire. I couldn't help but think about all the obstacles and incidents that happened to me this year, as if I was living in a television drama because it seemed like every day there would be a new surprise and challenge for me. Seriously, I was tired of it and I did not want any more drama in my life. I just wanted to live my life just like the past 17 years-simple, easy and peaceful.

I took one last look at the red and blue flashing lights of the fire engines and left the scene together with Grandpa.
Firemen directing their jet of water toward the shop. (Thanks to CM who provides the photo.^^)

15 comments:

Mr. Journalist-to-be said...

wah, i feel sorry 4 u, but seems that everybody alright, THANKGOD for that.. Anyway, cheer up, ming khai.. there still a lot of days to go b4 we came back, hope u enjoy the days left, soon i wanna see ur enjoyful holiday posting..

Mimitella said...

Haha, everything is still fine. No worries. Keep updating urs too.

serene said...

Cheer up ming khai. everything will be fine and I hope to see you soon. =))

Mimitella said...

Haha, I'm fine la. See you in November or December. Hehe.

Anonymous said...

还好没事哦。。
我们都有同感。。
不过,
加油!!!
开心就好,酱帅就对了
嘿嘿~

Mimitella said...

Yeah, luckily...U stay pretty as well, haha...

ming ★ said...

i was there too ming khai!! haha

Mimitella said...

Really?????? Standing in front of the shop isit? Wow, I didn't know that!! Haha...

jun said...

waaaaaaaaaaaaaa..............alor star happen so serious de things ar...............jy la mk whaha ^.^

Mimitella said...

Now you know, haha...even things can happen in AS.

marcus said...

shocking. When reading your post, I felt like I am not a part of A/S anymore because I felt like har, where is alor star. Didnt expect alor star to happen such incident. Haha. So, are you okay?

Mimitella said...

Yeah, I'm fine. No worries, haha..yeah, you left AS so long ady.

jinxiang said...

Marcus, Alor Star is the place where you had stayed on the tree for 17 years :p
Sorry to hear that, I can't imagine your fear as I have never encountered such incident @_@
*keep in touch*

Mimitella said...

Thanks, keep in touch, haha...Juz keep updating ur blog can ady.

BluE-hEarTeD-GirL said...

oh, juz knew u had such shocking experiences...
but thanks god evryones fine at last...
anyway, me found something too...
many mi gu's words hahahaha XDDD
yea, u r once her most favourite student huh :P